***PARALLEL IMPORT *****
Upgrade alert - REVERSE FLOW! You already love our Oklahoma Joe Highland Offset Smoker, now get ready for the next level. Reverse flow smokers deliver an unparalleled low and slow cooking experience with increased and consistent heat and smoke coverage on the top and bottom surfaces of your meat. The result is more even cooking and a smokier smokiness. (And you can always adjust it to a single-direction flow, if the occasion demands it - simply change the location of the chimney!)
Modelled after the good ol' smokers from pioneering days in the oil fields, this big bad smoking beast is the real deal y'all! Mix it up with some old fashioned Kiwi-kai and do we have a feast on our hands or what?!
This style of smoker was first built by hungry oilfield workers in Texas and Oklahoma from surplus oil pipes and 55 gallon steel drums - pretty ingenious!
The variable smokestack locations of this model give you the flexibility to change between reverse flow smoking and traditional offset smoking while four baffles locked under porcelain-coated wire grates ensure the delivery of even heat and smoke throughout the cooking chamber. Convenient and super durable, the smoker is made from high-temp, heavy-gauge steel with a large 619 sq.inch cooking area plus an additional 281 sq.inch secondary grill.
Multiple dampers give you total control over your pit as does the convenient fire access door which makes stoking or adding wood to the large charcoal basket super easy. Cool-touch handles and big ol' wagon-style wheels are great for portability while the firebox door is real handy when it comes time for clean up.
All that's really left to do is fire 'er up and get this smoker cranking! Yehaw!
FYI... THE OKLAHOMA JOE HAS A FEW WELL-KNOWN QUIRKS...
1. Coat all of the interior surfaces and racks in your smoker with a high burn-point cooking oil e.g. canola or grapeseed oil.
2. Use a Charcoal Chimney Starter to heat the coals until they're super smoky.
3. Add some unlit charcoal to the firebox then pour the lit coals from your Charcoal Chimney Starter on top. Open the exhaust and intake to ensure the greatest amount of airflow so you can get it to a good hot heat!
5. Allow the smoker to reach 135-149°C (275-300°F) and smoke for 2-3 hours.
6. Let your smoker cool down. Once your smoker has cooled completely, you're good to go.
OTHER THINGS TO NOTE:
The Oklahoma Joes sometimes arrive with cosmetic scratches and, occasionally, with small dings. These are not caused in transit, so they happen at the factory and there is little we can do about them. If you are going to be bothered by this, it's best not to buy one of these online - buy from a store and open the box to inspect it before purchase. Just sayin'. Of course, if you buy from us and find that the smoker is not fit for purpose, we will of course refund you and collect it. We want happy customers - we're not here to pull a fast one!
As with almost any smoker, some smoke and heat does leak out of the apertures, which do not close to an air-tight seal naturally. You will need to invest in some high-heat gasket tape to seal these up - it's all part of the interactive fun of tinkering with your smoker to make it your own. (There are whole websites and BBQ community topics dedicated to the modifications and hacks you can make to your smoker to get the most out of it!)
We encourage you to join the NZ Barbecue Pitmasters group on Facebook. They are super-knowledgeable and helpful!
- Optional smokestack locations let you choose between reverse flow smoking and traditional offset smoking
- Four baffles locked under porcelain-coated wire grates deliver even heat and smoke through cooking chamber
- Large charcoal basket provides a more efficient burn, easier tending and quicker clean-up
- Convenient firebox door makes clean-up quick and easy
- 619-square-inches of primary cooking space; 281-square-inches of secondary cooking space
- Warming area on firebox for added cooking versatility
- Cool-touch handles protect your hands from the heat
- Professional temperature gauge for accurate monitoring
- Large, wagon-style wheels for easy mobility
- Bottom shelf lets you keep cooking utensils and additional fuel close-by.
Gross Weight: 93kg
Net Weight: 89kg